31 Jan Model Maker 1
Fabricates tools and parts in metal, and plastic through machining and metal forming operations. Work from blueprints, drawings, or verbal instructions using math and basic computer skills.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Sets up and operates machines, such as lathes, drill presses, or band saws, to fabricate prototypes or models.
- Determines fixtures, machines, tooling, and sequence of operations to fabricate parts, dies, and tooling, according to drawings and sketches.
- Drills, countersinks, and reams holes in parts and assemblies for bolts, screw, and other fasteners, using power tools.
- Must do a layout and marks reference points and dimension on materials, using measuring instruments and drawing or scribing tools.
- Cuts, shapes, and forms metal parts, using lathe, power saw, snips, power brakes and shear files, and mallets.
- Grinds, files, and sands parts to finished dimensions.
- Studies blueprints, drawings, or sketches, and computes dimensions for laying out materials and planning model production.
- Fabricates metal or plastic parts, using hand tools.
- Aligns, fits, and joins parts, using bolts or screws or by welding or gluing.
- Assembles mechanical, electrical, and electronic components into models or prototypes, using hand tools, power tools, and fabricating machines.
- Wires and solders electrical and electronic connections and components.
- Reworks or alters component model or parts as required to ensure performance of equipment or parts meet standards.
- Inspects and tests model or other product to verify conformance to specifications, using precision measuring instruments or circuit tester.
- Devises and constructs own tools, dies, molds, jigs, and fixtures, or modifies existing tools and equipment.
- Makes bridges, plates, wheels, cutting teeth on wheels and pinions, and threaded screws.
- Consults and confers with engineering personnel to discuss developmental problems and recommend modifications to correct or improve performance of product.
- Records specifications, production operations, and final dimensions of model for use in establishing operating standards and machinery procedures
- Will utilize machinist hand tools and precision measuring instruments to ensure order specifications.
- Be observant, detail oriented and accurate.
- Maintain the work area and equipment in a clean and orderly condition and follow prescribed safety regulations.
- Keep supervisor advised of work status, workload, problems, and progress as related to work assignments.
- Performs related duties as needed by supervision.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and / or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essentials functions.
EDUCATION and / or EXPERIENCE:
Must meet standard requirements (listed below) plus the following skill set:
- Preferred degree in Industrial Design, Model Making or Apprenticeship in a technical area
- 2 to 5 years’ experience in Model Making or Design related field
- Familiarity with geometric tolerances and experience with machine set up
- General drafting standards and CAD systems
- Sheet metal, tubing and assembly design and design fabrication
- Design fabrication equipment operation, maintenance and repair
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced environment
- Active security clearance preferred or must be able to obtain and maintain.
- Must have a good command of the English language, both written and verbal.
- Subject to drug and alcohol testing.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essentials functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, stoop, and bend. The employee frequently is required to use hand to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to walk; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear.
The employee must regularly lift and / or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and / or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and / or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perceptions and the ability to adjust focus. In addition, specific hand / eye coordination is required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to vibration and hazardous materials. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to risk.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
|TITLE||Model Maker 1|
|EMPLOYEE REPORTS TO||Team Leader|